GAL VENEZIA ORIENTALE (VeGAL) is non-profit development agency, with incorporated
legal status, founded in 1995 by reputable public and private companies in the
North West of Veneto.
The company’s mission is to work for the development of Western Venice/Venezia
Orientale through inter-sectorial actions aimed at qualifying local systems,
at integrating ambitious business sectors in the territory, and at strengthening
local cultural identity.
The Association’s goals are:
- to support innovative initiatives promoted by private and public local operators
as a response to the needs of both production and social realities in the territory.
- to bring together different entities operating in the territory with the scope
of working together on a common goal.
- to qualify the local enterprise systems
- to widen community-based experiences and stimulate cooperative transnational
GAL Venezia Orientale works in sectors involved in rural development, intended
as virtuous integration of the various economic sectors affecting the area. These
areas include tourism, agriculture, enterprise, environmental protection, and
local services, with focus, above all, on integration and development of cooperative
GAL Venezia Orientale
Legal status: Non-profit association with incorporated legal status. Registered
in the Local registry office of Legal Persons: n. 125, decree n. 78/41.03-D,
Registered office: Municipal of Portogruaro – Piazza della Repubblica, n.1 –
30026 Portogruaro (VE)
Operating office: via Cimetta 1 - 30026 Portogruaro (VE)
Telephone: +39 0421-394202
Tax identification number: 92014510272
VAT number: 03170090272
ISTAT code: 74.84.6
Bank account: Banca S.Biagio n. 003000075707
Bank data: CINT- ABI 08965 - CAB 36240
GAL Venezia Orientale offers other support services supports, adapting its role
to the respective target and mission of a company.
VeGA’s services include:
- Services for members
- Free services for the public
- Fee-based services
The services operate at two distinct levels and in line with GAL’s operational
- To stimulate the need for advanced services at a local level through launching
innovative and experimental projects.
- To directly provide such services in their preliminary phase, until local operators
(thanks to scale economies and prospective) take over, reducing the experimental
phase of the service..
The services offered by GAL Venezia Orientale can be carried out in two ways:
- Upon specific request by the user (e.g., via responses to queries, information
desk, data bank consultation, etc..).
- Active proposals made by GAL Venezia Orientale (e.g., specialized documents
and newsletters, work groups, training proposals, seminars, internet site updates,
Services are carried out in behalf of Member Companies/Non-member Companies of
GAL Venezia Orientale.
VeGAL’s operational sectors
GAL Venezia Orientale’s operational sectors are involved in rural development,
intended as virtuous integration of the various economic sectors affecting the
area. The rural economy of Western Veneto is enhanced by the current presence
in the territory of economic activities from diverse production sectors.
The operations of GAL extend throughout various local economic sectors, aiming
at integration and development of cooperative proposals:
- tourism, agriculture, agriculture, SME (small & medium enterprises)
- the environment, culture, patrimony
In these sectors GAL Venezia Orientale works with public-private partnerships
in order to integrate agriculture, tourism, environment, and enterprises, according
to the principle of proximity or subsidiarity (i.e., a bottom-up approach) and
integrability, and in accordance with the idea that the synergic presence of
diverse economic sectors can help development to take root.
The operations of GAL Venezia Orientale are developed through the following activities:
LOCAL GOVERNANCE AND PLANNING
- rafting, coordination and management of project plans for local development
- information, technical assistance and fundraising for community, national and
- economic and territorial initiatives
- intervention analysis and research
- training and education initiatives
- activating cooperative projects and research partnerships
- interventions in the sectors of tourism, agriculture, crafts and local SME,
services, environmental protection, culture and patrimony
- local governance activities, planning and conducting
- innovation: development of projects and research
The results of VeGAL’s activities have been realized through the direct elaboration
of the Plans for Territorial Coordination, the realization of various local co-financing
initiatives including fundraising and individual pilot projects.
It concerns an activity of governance that has involved VeGAL’s institutional
bodies (Assembly of Partners, Management Board, and Office of Planning and Projects),
as well as public and private entities and institutions aimed at creating development
plans for “operational governance”.
Following is a list of some of the most significant results obtained by the
Company through the application of its platform services:
- Plan for Local Action “Rural Innovation of Western Venice”
- Additional protocol to the Western Venice Territorial Agreement
- Agreement for Agriculture: Programming document for the development
of Western Venice’s primary sector
- Local Development Plan “From the Sile to the Tagliamento River”
- Audit of the Lison Bio Valley Wine Companies : proposed by the District
of Organically Grown Wines
- The cultural district of Western Venice
- Launching of the Western Veneto Forest Association
- Creation of the Lison-Pramaggiore Street of DOC* Wines (*Italian appellation)
- Support for the Conference of Mayors of Western Veneto
- Support for the structure of the Western Venice Territorial Agreement
- Program Agreement of the Western Venice Area
- EU funds 94-99: Leader II, Interregional II, objective 5b
- EU funds 2000-2006: Leader +, Rural Development Plan, Objective 2, Objective
3, Equal, Committee
- EU funds 2007-2013: European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development
(FEASR), Competitiveness Objective, Cooperation Objective, Committee notifications
- Other funds: Lr 16/93, Lr 13/99
- Analyses of tourism development and definition of the “Western Venice”
- Development of itineraries with an integrated strategy between itineraries
“parallel” to the coast and those “perpendicular” to the coast
- 1st Master Program in Public Training
- Renewable energies and energy conservation
- Public-private project financing for the realization of public works
The added value of cooperation has helped the progressive diffusion of this
project opening, widely used by VeGAL and in general by Western Venice.
Nevertheless, managing a project with partners from various countries and regions
is more complex than simply putting a project into effect on a local level.
For this reason GAL Western Venice develops and works, via an experimental
approach, with different projects of interregional, cross-border, and transnational
In relation to the territorial aspect of cooperation, different areas of intervention
can be outlined:
- interregional cooperation operates among areas belonging to the same
- cross-border cooperation operates in areas separated by borders
- transnational cooperation intervenes in macro-territories belonging
to two or more member states (e.g., “macro-regions”)
- in other types of cooperation, intervention is carried out within the
entire EU, among EU and other states or macro-areas (Latin America, Asia,
USA, Canada, and developing countries)
VeGAL has developed and presently operates in diverse projects of interregional
cooperation (with the regions of Friuli Venezia Giulia, Lombardy, Emilia Romagna)
and international cooperation (with Slovenia, France, Spain, Portugal) through
the interregional programs II and III Italy-Slovenia, Interregional Cross-border
Adriatic, Leader II and Leader+. VeGAL also collaborates with various entities
for the planning of strategic initiatives.
TRAINING, INFORMATION AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
In order to spread “planning and design learning”, VeGAL directly realizes
or finances educational and training initiatives geared for development Agents,
public administration personnel, private structures, young people, and entrepreneurs.
Over the course of its activities, VeGAL has realized, financed, or collaborated
in over 30 training courses with diverse programs. Following is a list of some
of the most significant initiatives in which VeGAL has participated at different
- Leader II: in the framework of the sub
-standard 2 of the Plan for Local Action, 21 training courses were activated
for a total of circa 294 participants from 115 companies and entities.
- Equal: in the framework of the project “New economy and tourism”, 3 courses
were realized which aimed at the creation of enterprises in the sector
of tourism and new technologies, 4 seminars with the title “Women create
enterprises”, and 3 seminars aimed at schools and universities, involving
a total of 295 participants.
- Objective 3 FSE: activation of the Master in Public Training program
with 115 participants from 15 public entities in the area, and collaboration
in various projects of cooperation and orientation.
To confront its various targets, GAL Western Venice has stimulated or directly
developed diverse types of projects that focus on local and community co-financing.
VeGAL, therefore, offers a two-fold service including territorial assistance
and fundraising which has allowed for the realization of numerous projects,
joining implementation with the specification of ad hoc financial resources.
VeGAL works with approved projects or in support of member or client projects,
in the principal Community Programs available for Western Veneto.
RESEARCH - ACTION
VeGAL’s strategic actions include research and studies on feasibility.
Research activities conducted by VeGAL have an operational aim, preliminary
to carrying out experimentations, or parallel with the initial phases of activating
a structure or service.
VeGAL has carried out diverse socio-economical studies in the area, in certain
cases entrusted to third parties as fund recipients, in other cases directly
carried out with its own researchers and with external experts.
A list of publications realized directly by VeGAL, including those entrusted
and co-financed to external subjects and those listing VeGAL’s significant
roles and areas of intervention, is available for consultation in VeGAL’s annual